Lyttelton Primary School’s R42.6m refurbishment falls behind schedule
Advertising
17-02-2026
Read : 19 times
Pretoria Rekord
Source
The Gauteng Department of Infrastructure Development says the project is progressing but remains behind schedule, with Phase 1 still requiring outstanding work and defect repairs.
Nearly a year after construction began at Lyttelton Primary School, the Gauteng Department of Infrastructure Development (DID) has confirmed that the first phase of the long-awaited refurbishment is behind schedule, with minor outstanding work and some snags still requiring repair.
Theo Nkonki, spokesperson for the MEC of DID, told Rekord that the refurbishment project officially began in March last year.
The project aims to improve the learning environment while addressing long-standing infrastructure issues at the school.
“The refurbishment project officially began on March 9, 2025, and includes upgrades to key school facilities. These upgrades are aimed at improving the learning environment, addressing infrastructure deterioration, improving accessibility standards, and, crucially, resolving wet services issues on this dolomitic site,” said Nkonki.
He explained that the project involves repairs to existing buildings and sports facilities, and a complete overhaul of wet services to mitigate the risk of sinkholes. Additionally, new water storage and a pump station will be provided as part of the upgrade.
“The refurbishment also covers a wide range of school facilities, including classrooms, ablution facilities, a computer laboratory, a combi court, and a tennis court. It also includes architectural finishing works, civil services upgrades, and mechanical and electrical installations.”
According to Nkonki, the total value of the refurbishment project is over R40-million.
“As of the latest reporting period, expenditure to date amounts to R11 204,335.40, with the project showing an overall completion of approximately 28%,” he confirmed.
Nkonki highlighted that while work is progressing, Phase 1 completion is behind schedule, with minor outstanding tasks and defects still requiring attention.
Outstanding work includes data and network cabling, as well as flooring in the computer room. He also noted that remedial work is needed to address defects, such as repairs to skirtings.
The department acknowledged that the project has faced numerous challenges that have affected progress and reduced productivity on-site.
Nkonki explained that these challenges included early delays in site handover and slow contractor performance due to capitalisation issues, which have since been resolved. He added that the department also experienced difficulties with the capacity and competence of local subcontractors, resulting in poor workmanship.
“Intermittent community disruptions further impacted progress. These disruptions were linked to the non-payment of local labourers and subcontractors,” he said.
Such setbacks reduced productivity and required the department to replace subcontractors with more competent teams.
In response to these challenges, the department implemented a turnaround strategy to strengthen the delivery of social infrastructure projects.
“As part of this approach, a multidisciplinary Infrastructure Delivery A-Team has been established to enhance oversight, improve co-ordination, and ensure timely interventions to stabilise projects and prevent further delays,” stated Nkonki.
He added that the department anticipates the project will be completed by July 2026.
Back in 2024, the department informed Rekord that the project was expected to begin in the second quarter of that year.
At the time, contractors had already submitted their bids, and the department was in the process of finalising the appointment.
“The contractors have all submitted their bids. It’s just a matter of completing the process of selecting the contractor,” the department said at the time.
The department had expressed hope that contractors would begin work on-site in the second quarter of 2024, allowing construction to start by late July or early August.
“This would mean that work could begin at the end of July or the beginning of August, with opportunities for SMMEs and other stakeholders to engage in the process.”
The late David Farquharson, who served as the ward councillor during the early stages of the project, described the multi-million-rand refurbishment as an exciting development for the community.
He emphasised that he had pushed for the project after sinkhole concerns emerged at the school’s tennis courts.
“This project will bring long-term benefits for learners in Lyttelton. It will make Lyttelton a better place for the learners,” he said.
Farquharson explained in 2024 that a sinkhole had formed at the school’s tennis courts several years ago, prompting him to request the inclusion of infrastructure upgrades in the integrated development plan.
He noted that the incident had occurred so long ago that an entirely new generation of learners was now attending the school.
While welcoming the upgrade, Farquharson acknowledged that the project might cause temporary disruptions during construction.
“This project is exciting, though it may cause a bit of disruption in the neighbourhood while it is underway,” he said.
Recent News
Here are recent news articles from the Building and Construction Industry.
Have you signed up for your free copy yet?